Thursday 16 July 2015

My unfortunately fortunate visit to Prague

Mandatory ridiculous selfie.

Morning found me near the border to the Czech Republic and looking for a ride to Prague. I had planned for this journey to take three days and include a stop or two to take a scenic route, then stay in Prague for two nights after the weekend. That didn't happen.

The next ride I got was a Czech man that spoke no English. Using a combination of charades and sign language he confirmed he was heading to "Praha." I hopped in and we went on our way. Four hours later we stopped and he said, proudly, "Praha!" Then he got into his car, turned back the way he came and waved goodbye. From checking my map, he had driven two hours out of his way to drop me off in Prague.

Three days in four hours. So here I was, at a place called Centrum Cerny Most on the outskirts of Prague. I got to charge my phone, enjoy free wifi and aircon, and comfortable recliner couches in a place that looks like it came from  17 year old teenage girl's mall dream. I called up my friend in the city and we met for the first time since encountering each other in an online game nearly two years prior. I met my mother.

Centrum Cerny Most.

Not my biological mother. It turns out my mom is a 19 something Czech guy with long hair. I'm not new to Europe and what it has over South Africa, I rode the bus and train every day for months. This did not stop mommy from talking and helping me through everything and filling my backpack with double its weight in food. As I laid out my nice little sleeping place, mommy worried himself to death while I slept peacefully for the night.

The next day had less mommying and we explored the views of Prague. What a beautiful city. I've been told its one of the most beautiful in the world, and that is certainly true. The view up from the castle is spectacular.

The view from Prague castle's ramparts. 

We said our goodbyes and I promised to visit again one day.
I slept another night under the stars in a green park, then bought a small camping mattress and made my way to Austria.

I'd definitely go back again. I absolutely hate cities but for places like Prague I will make an exception. My early and inconvenient arrival in Prague turned out wonderful and has set my feet on the path to my own personal paradise and a wonderful week in Austria. Sometimes, it all works out perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment